Press

/Press/

2005

Dixie Brewery closes due to Hurricane Katrina.

By | October 7th, 2016|Brewing History|Comments Off on 2005

1991

Crescent City Brew House opens.

By | October 7th, 2016|Brewing History|Comments Off on 1991

1986

Abita Brewing Company is founded on the North Shore as the first craft brewer in Louisiana.

By | October 7th, 2016|Brewing History|Comments Off on 1986

1974

After having been sold to a different operator, Jax goes out of business, selling the Jax name to the Pearl Brewing Company of San Antonio, Texas. Pearl continues to produce Jax until 1985, when it is purchased by Pabst Brewing Company.

By | October 7th, 2016|Brewing History|Comments Off on 1974

1956

Jackson Brewery acquires the copyright to the “Jax” name from the Jax Brewing Company of Jacksonville, FL, after it goes out of business. Within a decade, the renamed Jax Brewery grows to become the tenth-highest-producing brewery in the United States.

By | October 7th, 2016|Brewing History|Comments Off on 1956

1920-1933

Prohibition

By | October 7th, 2016|Brewing History|Comments Off on 1920-1933

1907

Dixie Brewery opens and becomes one of the well-known breweries in the South.  Its motto: “One Brewery, 45 Brands.”

By | October 7th, 2016|Brewing History|Comments Off on 1907

1890

Jackson Brewery opens on Decatur St.  In addition to Jackson beer, it produced Fabacher, Bohemian Hof-Brau, Tex, 4-X and Sabena beer.

By | October 7th, 2016|Brewing History|Comments Off on 1890

1890

The New Orleans Brewing Association forms in order to combat the practice of English brewing syndicates looking to buy American breweries to expand their market shares. The alliance of all the breweries in the city makes them too large to be purchased.

By | October 7th, 2016|Brewing History|Comments Off on 1890

1885

J.J. Weckerling opens a second branch of his Louisiana Brewing Company on Jackson Avenue at Tchoupitoulas. The main building is still standing and is now part of a marine repair works. The bottling plant (on the uptown corner of Tchoupitoulas and Jackson) was demolished; that lot remains empty to this day.

By | October 7th, 2016|Brewing History|Comments Off on 1885